There's so much more to a show than the music. The audience needs to
feel like they are participating somehow. It's a subtle psychological
thing, that makes them want to be appreciated.
- Screaming contest: Divide the audience into two sides, two plus the
back, or two plus the middle. Come up with some kind of arrangement
like that. Have a contest to see which side can scream the loudest.
- Dance contest: Have the band play some kind of funky break-beat
ditty, and have a contest for best dance.
- Break: Bust out a funky breakbeat after the chorus of some
hot song and jump out into the audience.
- Just a couple words: Teach the audience a few words, and have some
kind of cue to signal them to sing them. (line in the song, you point
the mic, whatever)
- Sing part of the song: If you're really doing well and they
know your song, have the instruments play quieter and have the audience sing
part of the song, like the chorus.